Friday, July 31, 2009

kitty's on the counter?

I have had such helpful answers to my other questions I thought I would give this a try.I asked my vet if cats understand the word no (being a dog owner and never a cat) he laughed at me and said no! But I think he's wrong!! If the 1 cat gets up on the kitchen table or counter, (which are the 2 things I won't put up with) If I say in a low deep voice.GET DOWN! he goes. The other cat you can stand there and yell and point to the floor GET DOWN and he will hide his head behind a bag or somehitng like you can't see him. HA! The other cat we kinda make fun of cuz he's so cute but so dumb! we say he is our "challenged" cat.lol! he stares at the wall or cieling at nothing for a long time. Just sits there. ha! god bless the lil guy! We say it's cause he's blonde (like me) ANYWAY.. what can I do to keep them off the counter and table? I tried plastic bags for the noise and they play inside them so that didn't work.I tried foil..nope! I heard to try double sided tape?
Answers:
OK, like you I have had cats understand NO! But my new one doesn't care much about the word no, so I put tape on any area that I do not allow her and she is learning where she is allowed and where she's not, so far she has been taped several times and doesn't like, so she stays clear of any area she has been taped. I just put upside down packing tape where ever I am trying to keep her away from, but stick it to your clothing first, it makes it less adhesive, so they don't get hurt when you remove it. I have never pulled hair out of my cat, it's just sticky enough to grab on and peel right off. Double sided tape works to, but I have found, once they have had tape stuck to them, they like that even less. My cat used to pee behind my couch, I put tape there and she got taped, I removed the tape a month later and she still will not go behind the couch.

Good luck.
squirt gun. it'll only take a couple shots, and he'll get the idea!

I too, have a 'challenged' cat that will sit and stare at nothing! We have to wave our hand in front of his face to get his attention sometimes. Cats!
I pretty much gave in to mine. He eats dinner on the counter and lies there for a little while because he likes being up high, and it is cooler. It started so he could eat without the dogs getting to his food. Trust me, I have never, ever allowed this in the past, but this kitty gets his way with me all the time, not because he is demanding.but because he's not!

Don't worry, I spray and wipe the counter all of the time.and he's a clean cat anyway.
Try a squirt gun! Other ideas are double backed sticky tape or foil on the table and counters. Good luck!
I wouldn't put anything that makes noise because they usually like that. You could try putting some black or Cayenne pepper on the counter so they smell it or the squirt bottle is a good idea if you have time to stand by the counter and wait for them to jump up there. You could also try something that will stick to their feet they don't like that. good luck
to keep cats off the cars outside, we used to put rubber snakes on the hood and trunk of the car, you could try that for the counter. It worked for the cars but of course our cats were inside/outside cats so they knew what a snake was. Don't know if it will work on an indoor cat.
Cats can learn tricks just like dogs. As for the counter thing, I'd get a squirt bottle, and when they jump up on the counters and tables, just squirt at them. (usually you don't actually have to squirt them litterally, just by them) If they dont move then squirt them. Eventually they will associate the counter with something bad and won't get up there any more. When youre not home leave the bottles on the counter and they probably wont stay up there for long.
Using a squirt gun and your verbal correction at the same time will get it done. It is interesting how different cats have different personalities. Sometimes you have to wonder just how smart some of them are.
Double-sided tape, scratchy welcome mats, X-mats, or anything that the cat will find uncomfortable should do the trick. If those don't work, you can get Ssscat, which is a can of citronella oil that will spray when set off by the cat's movements.

The problem with squirting the cat with water is she will learn (maybe) to not get on the counters when you are there but will still do it when you are away. The above methods work whether you are home or not.
get a squirt bottle. they can't stand it. I had a friend who used double sided tape, and the cats would get stuck and unhappy. After a few times, they decided that going on the counter would only hurt them, so they stopped.

With my kitten, I just kept taking her off the counter everytime she tried, and after a while, she gave up even bothering because she knew the instant she'd get up there someone would pick her up and toss her on a chair.
I have no problem like this with 2 of my cats. My third used to like the counter too and i put things at edges of counter to deter this and once she jumped up and knocked down a ceramic pitcher and it busted. The noise scared her so much she never attempted to jump again.

You can try using small brown paper lunch bags. when you catch the cat on the counter blow into the bag and then pop it after you say no and that should scare him down. after a few times he will associate the annoying noise with the counter and will not jump up on it.

You can also try a squirt bottle of water. Although this didnt work with my one cat. she just sat there and let me soak her. the bag trick worked though.
get a small mister type spray bottle, like they use in a beauty shop. the finer the mist the better. usually you don't even have to actually hit them with any water, just a spray in their direction. the fine mist helps not to soak or stain your furniture. it will only take a couple of times before they recognize the bottle!! Very humane and not traumatic for all involved, definiately beats yelling
i was gonna say try foil.but that didn't work for you.
double sided tape is a good idea too.
i would probably get a spray bottle or squirt gun and spray the cat anytime he got up on the counter.the trick with spray bottle training is to not let the cat see YOU spraying him.that will only train him to stay off the counter when you are around/looking..my vet told me the cat has to think the punishment has come from "god"..then he'll associate getting on the counter with getting sprayed, and not with you

No comments:

Post a Comment