Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kittens? Need Advice! UK only?

I am thinking of getting a kitten, but my partner is worried it will be expensive.
How mush is it to have them vaccinated, and have them neutured? It is a tom cat and he is worried it will spray.
Answers:
Hi Kelly
i was on means tested benefits so it was free for me,,, You are better getting the tom cat neutered as when they spray Oh the smell is bad. Toms can go home right away but the female has to stay over night,,, Ring your vet he will help you. Its not expensive to keep them tho. Really great coming home to them
a neutered male cat (if neutered under the age of 1 year) usally wont spray but their is always a risk.

get one from the RSPCA it is alot cheaper than getting a free kitten and doing all that stuff yourself.
Mine cost 拢75 to get neutered, 拢60-80 a year for vaccinations, 拢40 a year for flea pippets (a must if you dont want them to get fleas) but food, treats and litter all add up 拢15 a week maybe dont buy any expensive cat toys though a few cardbard boxes etc keeps them amused for weeks - also remember if you are going on holiday a good cattery is usually quite expensive - the one I use is very good but 拢12 a night
about $350 its always cheaper to get the males done then it is to get the females done so anyhow i know i'm not in the u.k but if its $350 here that would kind of work out to about 150 pounds and good for you for getting your pet desexed its the best investment .
Hmmmmmm I'm not UK, but is mush like what you eat?
Contact the cats protection league, as far as i know they neuter cats for free
tell him to not worry about money and get one , great companion , get insurance just incase they do get run over
i paid 拢20 each to neuter my tom cats and 拢13 a year for vaccinations
OK, first up..kittens are cute but a proper pain in the *! I nearly gave mine away so many times over the last 6 months because.
They rip the house apart
They cr*p and p*ss everywhere (even tho they know how to use a tray)
Theyre noisy
They disturb my sleep

and so many more reasons. I love my 2 girls but over the last 6 months, I have never been so annoyed because of them so please think VERY carefully, why do you want a kitten in particular?

RSPCA is great, they dont just have old cats from old people who've died, they also have young cats of 1 year or so. I actually found quite a few Id have happily given a home to but it was my hubby that talked me out of it (altho he is regretting that now!)

I paid 拢100 EACH for my kittens (so 拢200 altogether) which included all their vax and neutering, thats about the going rate for vax etc (effectively we got the 'girls' for free)

So, seriously, think REALLY carefully if you want a tiny kitten because they are only cute for a little while then they will annoy the p*ss out of you.

I cant even begin to tell you how many times I said 'Im taking them back / giving them to the RSPCA' because I just cant cope with them. Its been a long few months but I think theyre NEARLY at an acceptable stage (6 months old).

However, theyve just started p*ssing over their bed on a nightly basis so it looks like back to the drawing board.
I have 2 cats. I spend a tenner a week on food. It cost me 拢40 Pound each to get them neutered. The basic vaccines cost about 拢20 each. I would recommend getting two, if you both work as its good company for the cats. I got my cats free from a friend. You don't need to pay for kittens if you don't want a specific breed.
If you are on housing benefit then you can get a free voucher from the cats protection league or get it done at the pdsa for around nine pounds. without benefit it is around 20-25 pounds. Cant remember how much the vaccinations cost.
Don't even THINK about getting a kitten until you have done a LOT more research. The cost of the kitten depends on the breed. Phone several vets in your area to ask about the cost of innoculations and neutering since some areas are more expensive than others. Some males will spray even when they have been neutered. My 17 year old siamese cross will still spray if he thinks I won't notice.
You don't only have to worry about the cost of the kitten, vaccinating and neutering, you will have to budget for cases of illness or accident. Could you afford 拢300 for tests to find the cause of an illness and basic treatment? How about being hit by a car? You can kiss goodbye to anything up to 拢1000 for that.
Why does it have to be a kitten? If you go to the cats protection league, they have adult cats already house trained, innoculated and neutered.
Well, if it is a tom cat it is cheaper to neuter them than females. They also recover more quickly. Around 拢60 Vaccinations are once a year and cost around 拢40. Once neutered the cat won't spray. They also need flea treatment but definitely not as often as the vet will recommend. We have six cats and use frontline flea treatment just once a year. I think you can overmedicate cats and doing it once a year works for us as they never have fleas. Catfood 50p per tin lasts an adult cat 2 - 3 meals though dried catfood is cheaper and much better for their teeth. Remember they will always need access to water if on a dry diet. That's about it really.
I have had cats all my life, now in my fifties I am alot more responsable, but I took a kitten in from a friend knew nothing about vaccination and never had her done, she had kittens and I kept one of them, again no vaccinations, I did de-flea them once in a while depends on where and what is around where you live as to them getting fleas or ticks. I have had both my cats spayed and castrated, no vacinations and they have to be treated for fleas every three months . The rspca sells them for 拢3:50 a treatment. My cats are 14 years old and look very healthy and are very active, I do not regret them at all. For me the only draw back is their fur, brushing helps but they do leave it everywhere.
My cats love me and show it, they are very caring and know me well. I buy my cat food from asda iy costs very little they have dry and wet, start the cat off how you mean to go on, if you give them luxury food they will only eat that, try a middle of the road food, and if you decide to get a cat remember not all cats are as hectic as some would have you beleive, the odd one yes, but then that is true of all breeds.
ring around ure local vets for prices. i paid 56 pound for vaccinations and to have a tom neutured is about 30 pound. toms should be done at 5-6 months .frontline combo 3 pippes 15.95 worming 2 tables 5.60 (1 tables every 3 months) food 5.00 at most inclueding fresh fish and chicken ( yep i treat my cats)

you can try the PDSA for help with neuturing

No comments:

Post a Comment