Thursday, July 30, 2009

kittens paw?

this morning i went to leave for work, and i as i was shutting the front door my kitten shoved his little fingers into the hinge and got them caught, he screamed like ive never heard before..i took an extra few minutes to see if he was ok and he would run after his toy and snacks ok, but he would hold his paw up high if he was sitting, it seems as if i just caught the end of this paw so i dont think there is any damage since he was still wanting to attack his toys.im just really worried and i feel HORRIBLE! i was actually in tears.thats my little baby aside from my boyfriend (hahaha).should i take him to the vet, or give it a day or two to see how he's doing?
Answers:
Sounds like he's just fine. This happens all the time (I've even done that to my cat when he was a kitten). The rule is, if they won't bear any weight on it, or use it at all, then it's broken. If they will bear weight on it, then it is bruised or in this case, just got squished. If he's willing to play, then you should be fine. I would watch though, for a few days, and see if he starts holding it up a lot, or if the paw starts getting swollen or red. This could be that he's developed cellulitus, which is a swelling of the tissues due to some type of trauma. Then you would need to contact your vet.
http://magegame.ru/?rf=c1e0ebe0eaeee2f1e.
OMG! take him to the VET right away!
If he's able to walk, I'd say he's fine. Kittens can be dramatic. Mine have held their paws in the air like that too. But if you're really concerned, please be safe and take him in.
the vet is the best bet, the sooner the better. Just to be on the safe side. We dont want complications, that'll B expensive.
give him a day or two , if he still holds his paw up then
have the VET take a look @ it, poor little guy.
Check his paw to see if it is swollen, or mangled or still very painful. If so take him to the Vet otherwise let him heal on his own.
Will he let you hold his paw and gently now, gently, push his claws out as if you were going to trim them? If not, or if claws do not come out normally, go to vet. If he's ok with paw being held let the little Drama Queen wave his paw in the air all he wants. He just wants more treats.
Hold his paw and GENTLY move it around, each toe at each joint etc. if he cries then better take him to the vet but if not it's probably just still sore. My dog will do this after he gets stepped on or falls but after a minute hes fine.
if he is running around and playing I would just keep an eye on the situation, you can call the vets office for advice if it will make you feel better.

I remember the first time I accidently stepped on my kitten he screamed and ran off and was scared of me for a while, I made sure to pick him up and show him I didn't mean it, I was in tears too I thought that he was going to hate me forever. now if we accidently step on them they don't even make a noise though we are very careful to try and not step on them but the way they dart under our feet and all aroud us it's sometimes hard.
It sounds like he's fine. I'd be concerned if he weren't running after his toys or walking at all..but since he is, odds are everything's ok. If he doesn't stop favoring it in the next couple of days, take him in. And don't feel bad, these things happen! Animals are like kids, they get hurt.the other night, I was taking ceramic halloween houses out of their boxes to set up in my apartment..I was just sitting there holding one out in front of me. Well, my cats were chasing each other. Next thing I knew, my female breezed past my side and smacked face first into one of the ceramic houses..she slowed down for a minute, but then took off again. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment