Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kitty litter?

I was wondering what the best kind of kitty litter would be. I've been using fresh step and the scoopable kind smells great but gets stuck in his paws and the non-scoopable kind doesn't smell good at all!
Answers:
I use Swheat Scoop, which is clumping but not toxic like the other litters. Also, use baking powder to lessen the smell >
try a mixture of both and make sure to place the litter box on newspaper or animal pads this way they leave some or most the litter behind. I have used for my cats and kittens tidy cat it works pretty good and it does both it clumps and yet fine, it comes in both scented and unscented.
I use Tidy Cats with the crystals in it. It works really great and smells nice. But they have these pad thingys that you lay in front of the litter box and it gets the litter that is on your kittys paws off. It is sort of like a mat that we humans put outside to rub our shoes on to wipe off dirt or mud. This pad thingy does the same thing for cats. I am not sure where you can get one. I live on an army base so I got mine at the store here. I assume you can go to walmart and get one there. Or go to petsmart or petco I am sure they would have them there. Good Luck.
The best kitty litter is called "World's Best Kitty Litter" (no joke). It's made from biodegradable materials and doesn't have any harmful silica dust which most cat litters do, including tidy cat and fresh step. You can scoop and flush down the toilet which is very convenient. And if you scoop everyday and flush it lasts much longer than the other brands. It's a bit more expensive than the grocery market brands, but it lasts longer and it isn't harmful to you or your cat (silica dust is harmful to your lungs).

It also doesn't get that ammonia smell other litters emit.
arm and hammer super scoop. make sure you get the fragrence free. the smell is too much for them and they may stop using the litter box.
I like to use fresh step clumping- it takes care of smells the best and also has paw points rewards that come on each box that can be used to get free litter, toys, care products etc. Try mixing baking soda with the litter- this not only helps with odor but also absorbs the moisture and helps to keep it from clinging to paw fur.
TIDY CAT with crystals is the best!!
I have heard that clumpable clay cat litters can cause stomache problems. When the cat cleans himself he licks it and after a while it forms a hard clay lump in his stomache and can't poop it out
The non scoopable kind is actually better for the cat. The scoopable one gets caught in their paws and of course they clean themselves so they ingest it and it ends up causing problems later.


Clumping litter is designed to form a hard, insoluble mass when it gets wet. It also produces a fine dust when stirred (as when a cat scratches around to bury a recent deposit). And these clumping litters absorb many times their weight in fluids.
When cats or kittens use the litter box, they lick themselves clean; anything their tongues encounter gets ingested. Kittens especially tend to ingest a lot of litter when they are first learning to use the box.
Once the litter is inside a kitten or cat, it expands, forming a mass and coating the interior-thus, both causing dehydration by drawing fluids out of the cat or kitten, and compounding the problem by preventing any absorption of nutrients or fluids.
I only use Tidy Cats with the "Odor Locking Crystals with Carbon". This rarely gets stuck in my cat's paws, and if it does, I have a rubber "ramp" that will catch all the litter as they exit the litter box. I also mix in a little bit of baking soda to my cat's litter box, since I have 3 cats that share the same huge box. The baking soda reduces the smell, but you still need to scoop the box EVERY DAY no matter how many cats you have for it to stay fresh. Change the litter once a week.
For the last 20 years, I have used a wood pellet based cat litter. I have a lot of cats. 12 at present , and have 3 large litter trays in the house. Wodd based litter is the only one I know which doesn't stink of piss the first time a cat uses it. I scoop out the poo at least twice a day and thats all. It's very economical too because in the bottom of the tray, you only put 2 coffee mugs full of litter so it barely covers the bottom. As they piss, it sort of expands and crumbles. There is no dust involved either to go into your cats lungs. A cheaper alternative in the States, are sacks of wood stove pellets.
I use tidy cat scoopable multicat a mixture of immediate and long lasting odor protection. Try getting a litter box mat ,this should help with the litter on his paws.
I think fresh step is the best there is..have u tried gettign a litter mat so when kitty steps out of the box most of the litter is on there vs the paws?

No comments:

Post a Comment