Friday, July 31, 2009

Kitty sore lip?

My cat's bottom lip looks kind of swollen and pink. She flinches if I try to take a closer look. My husband says it might be some kind of cold sore. Any suggestions on how to make her feel better, or should I just leave it alone for now?
Answers:
My cat had this a while ago, and I was quite concerned. My vet said that it was just a "fat lip" (though he didn't have an explanation for why, just ssid that it happens sometimes), and that it should go away on it's own. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that it was probably a friction irritation from eating catnip off the carpet (she had done that a couple of days before I noticed the lip). It seems to happen periodically, and I think it's jut that she's curious and gets into a lot of things.

Give it a couple of days, and see if it changes. If not, it's a good idea to check with your vet just in case.
cunslet your vet i like cat
500mg per day of l-lysine if you think it's a cold sore. you can find l-lysine in the supplement isle of walmart.
If you cat is still young.
Our cat had a fat lip for a long time. It always looked sore. We finally called the vet and was advised it was from sucking on things because he had been taken away from him mom too young.
This would happen to my cat too. Sometimes I wouldn't notice it until it became an actual sore on her bottom lip. The vet ghave her a cortisone shot and I was told that she has an allergy to plastic. I fed her on a plastic coated paper plate. The cat rescue people I know said this is very common and to never feed the cats, or give them water, on a plastic plate of any kind. If this applies to you, get that shot for her and discontinue the plastic. Go with glass or metal instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment