Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kitten wont eat!?

Okay, I got the kittie his meds for the worms now there is just one problem left. He wont eat dry food, he is literally starving himself, I give him wet food but it gives him diarhea, I was wondering if maybe moist food would work? and whats the best brand to buy?
Answers:
Hi again Sarah. Poor little kitten! I didn't realize that he's only 8 weeks old. That piece of info helps a lot. In a perfect world, kittens would be with their mothers for 12 full weeks. That's how long it takes to completely wean them from their mothers. 8 weeks is when that weaning process begins. What I suggest is that you get some KMR (kittens milk replacment) from the pet store. It comes in a powder that you add water to or in a liquid form. Get a quality dry kitten food (must be kitten food because the pellets are smaller and it's higher in calories which a growing kitten needs). Prepare the KMR and mix it with the kitten food in a bowl to make a "gruel". Serve the gruel at room temperature, not chilled. You can even heat the KMR a bit to make it warm (it's mama's milk was very warm). The KMR will soften up the dry food and your kitten will LOVE the KMR because it tastes like his mama's milk. You may find that he puts his entire face in it and makes a mess of himself (kittens are too cute!) but that's okay.he will clean it off later or you can wipe his face for him. The diarreah may take some time to go away. Your poor little kitten's intestines have been through a lot with those worms. As the deworming medication works, they will heal and he will get better. Good luck.
Where did you get the medicine for the worms? It might be that you didn't get all the worms and that is what is causing the diarrhea. Take the kitten to the vet. Could be other problems going on too. He might dehydrate if you don't get him to eating!
You may want to consult a vet. Make sure he has kitten food that's of a good variety. Try Iams or Science diet kitten. Yes, I've noticed that only wet food will give them the runs, and this isn't good for kitty. I hope you find something that he'll eat, but this is an odd dilemma. That's why I think you should consult your vet.
i would go to a vet and ask him what you should do. And why in the hell are you asking us when we are not a vet
a side effect of the medicine could be diarhea
maybe the kitten is to small to eat dry food.try puting it in ome water and then give it to it
The best food for kittens (other than iams) is Purina growth formula, that's what I fed my cats until they were 6 months old. What you can do is mix a little bit of wet food, just a little bit to taste and then put the dry food on top, he will eat it like that, they also sell a gravy for cat food, you can get it at petsmart it is awesome, you put it like a sauce on top of the dry food and they love it. There are so many brands that it really depends on how much you want to spend, but iams is the best, diet science is good too but since I have 3 cats and i am always on a budget i get Purina indoor formula.
are you sure that the meds that you gave your kittie for the worms may be causing your kittie to not want to eat dry food and you should go to the doctor to ask wheter or not there are some meds to help the kittie to eat. I usually would give my cat kitten kadboole by purina and he eat that all the time
They love HAM. But take the kittie to the vet.
Canned food is definitely the best food for him. I wish you had mentioned his age.

The moist food in the packets is really supposed to be crappy (from very suspect protein sources). Dry food isn't particularly good for cats anyway.

I think we could be more helpful if you would mention which foods gave him diarrhea. If I knew maybe I could suggest a better brand for you.

Maybe you should consult with a vet. Right now a little cooked chicken meat and cooked rice should be palatable for him. He needs to eat for sure.
try different brands of dry food try kit n kabootle most cats seem to like it. A little wet food shouldnt hurt it because if they don't get wet food they can have urinary tract problems expecially if it's a male. The dry food basically sucks the moisture out of them because they don't drink enough water to balence the two out
If I were you at this point since the kitten won`t eat I wouldn`t try any other food products I would get him to the vet as soon as possible kittens can start going down hill very quickly and you could end up losing him
Worming medications can cause diarrhea, so don't rule out the soft food yet.

Since this is about food..I used to think it was ok to give my cats dry food. I'm not going to anymore. After reading the info here http://www.petinfo.org I'm switching both of my cats to raw meat diets, with the occasional quality canned food.

But if you still want to go with hard food, make sure it's high quality. Wellness and Nature's Variety are good brands.I haven't checked out Royal Canin yet, but I've seen some people here recommending it. Just be sure to steer clear of anything containing a lot of meat by-products and corn..and if it says "meal"..like "Chicken by-product meal".that means it's been rendered (heated at high temperatures and stripped of most of its nutritional content). And no matter what anyone (even a vet) tells you, DON'T use Science Diet.

I'm going off here.

You cat may just not feel well. How long has it been since he's eaten? I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's been 24 hours or longer since he last ate anything. If this happens (or has) contact your vet right away.

(OK, I wasn't sure if you were talking about a kitten or not, my advice about 24 hours is if we're talking about an adult cat. By all means, contact your vet now if we're talking about a kitten.)
Try a tiny bit of tuna i got my 2 kittens well before they should have left there mother (my bf went and got them as a suprise for me) IT WAS !! they were the same had worms and fleas so it cost a bit at the vet but i gave them a TINY bit of tuna with soggy dry food until they fed better good luck and try a hot water bottle with a ticking clock in the cover it might make him feel safer
get him some purina kitten chow and put it in some whiskas cat milk maybe this will help it worked on several kittens that i found if the milk doesnt work (dont use people milk) then try the gravy from the wet food mixed with the kitten chow

No comments:

Post a Comment