Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kittens chewing?

How do I get a 4mo old cat to stop chewing on wires? Mostly small wires like head phones. He has a multitude of toys and teething objects, plus I've tried sprays etc. Will this grow out of him? And how do you scold a cat, yelling and spraying water don't seem to be perminete. Will smacking them help or do they even understand when I'm scolding them?
Answers:
For some reason, those wires can be irresistable to cats. He might grow out of it, I have heard of a few that don't.
Try a penny can. Put 10 pennies into a soda can and tape it closed. When you see him going after the wire, shake the can sharply, it should startle him away. If not, toss the can in his direction. It should land near him, don't pelt him with it!! That should have him on the run. Pretty soon in his little cat mind, wires will equal a loud scary noise coming out of nowhere, and he will leave them alone.
Praise him for playing with his toys. That, combined with the sudden loud noise when he goes for wire, should train him out of it.
Try again with a spray bottle. You need one that makes a strong jet of water. He probably doesn't even notice if you mist him. It's a combination of being wet and the force of the water hitting him that will get his attention. You should be able to hear the water hitting him. A loud "no" is also needed to drive the point home to his fuzzy little head.
Keep in mind that cats really don't care for anything that is not their own idea, so you need to be firm, consistent and very patient. He will come around eventually.
Good Luck.
Oh, boy, I've been where you are!

And yes, I had to yell and swat my young cats a lot to stop them from chewing on wires. They did eventually- and fortunately without getting electrocuted.

Some people might think I was being cruel, but it was better than letting them get killed.

Another thing you might try doing is running your wires through lengths of pipe. That won't protect the plug ends or the end that leads to the appliance, but there will be less space to chew on.

Good luck!
I use a squirt gun. It's a direct spray, and it gets their attention!
Also, even a direct hit in the face won't hurt them but they sure stop what they're doing!

Also, you have to do it while they're in the middle of being bad. If you discipline them afterwards, you'll just confuse them.
My cat still does it and she is four years old and she has been electrocuted five times and she still goes right back to it. I would say a normal cat would get shocked once and stop this behavior. I hope that this info helps you good luck and best wishes to you.
Run a small electric current through the wires. Usually does the trick.
I had to replace 3 pairs of headphones when my kittens did this. Most of my appliances with thicker wires (lamps, fans, etc.) have tiny teeth marks on them.

I now keep my headphones in a safe place where my cats can't get to them, such as a drawer, closet or shoebox (with the lid tied on!) For the larger things, I wrapped the cord in electrical tape and put some Grannick's Bitter Apple on it. It's a nasty-tasting but safe solution that is used to keep a cat from licking their fur when they have topical medicine or stitches, but works just as well.

It's not a good idea to smack your kitten. He won't understand and will think you are just being "mean", even though you and I both know you're not. It might even damage the trust he has for you. I made that mistake several years back with one of my cats and she has never let me forget it! Trust me, the welfare of a few wires isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment