Friday, July 31, 2009

LIttle Kitten flea sprays?

There was a stray cat that was outside who had a batch of four kittens. We have taken the one that was smallest in trying to get her fixed up. We seemed to remove all the fleas and larvi via bath but on her face what I am guessing is flea larvi. It looks like little white specs which seem to be moving if you look very close. My posts from yesterday seem to point to flea larvi. I am just concerned what I can put on her head to get rid of them.

We are unable to bring the kitten/s to a vet as of yet. So over the counter is only methd possible as of this week. Anythinng that is better than nothing.
Answers:
Uh hun that's not flea larva that's fly larva.maggots.. Guess I should give more info. A lot of times on stray puppies/kittens the gyp is sick or decomensated from lack of nutrition and does not get the newborns cleaned properly, anyway the flies will lay eggs and it only takes about 24 hours for them to hatch. Try just washing the area really well with baby shampoo. I would use gloves but that's just me personally as the only thing that really bothers me as in YUCK is maggots.
ask the vet if you can use anything on newborn kittens until they can safely make it see a vet
I would use a wash cloth and try to wipe her face down as much as you can. If she is really that tiny, then there isn't much you can use in the way of insecticides on her that won't hurt her.

You might try wiping a bit of Avon Skin So Soft over her face with a damp cloth. it repels flies and mosquitoes in pople and they recommend it for human babies. It's worth a try anyhoo!

Good luck and thanks for being a protector of bitty things!
i would go to a pet store. and look for kitten flea dip. they have it. good luck. and thats so nice of you to take the kitten in. so it will have a home.
call your local animal clinic, they should be able to give you some advice.
give her a bath in lemon dish soap becareful not to get it in her eyes.
I went through the same thing last year. Mama cat, who was wild then, had four kittens. I kept her and took the kittens to a lady who does all the stuff before people adopt them. When I went to her house to see how they were doing, she was putting a spray of frontline on them. I asked her why she wasn't putting just the frontline on them. That's a product the stores have in single doses for cats and dogs. She said the kittens were too young to handle that much of a dose. But they sell it in a spray for pups and kittens. So I would suggest you try to get some of that because it not only takes care of the fleas and the larvae, it also takes care of the ticks. I live in a wooded area and the ticks are the worst. I have 5 cats and the stuff works as soon as it's put on. Good luck and thanks for taking care of our little creatures.
I rescued and bottle fed 2 kittens that were 2 weeks old when I got them.They had fleas pretty bad. beause of the young age, chemicals are not safe. Our vet recommended a natural spray, it is called 'DE FLEA' Pet %26 Area Spray. It kills the fleas on contact, and young kittens have to be rinsed thouroughly with water after use. I got it at a small independant pet store, it was $11.99. Just be sure to get something that uses natural substances and not poisons. This stuff is great. Check it out

www.naturalchemistry.com
Flea meds of any kind are for kittens 8 weeks and older. If you do it younger than that theres a good chance of them dying. Take them to a vet! If theyre strays and you dont plan on keeping them, 99% of vets will not charge you! How hard is it to call and ask?
I'd call the vet to see what's safe for a kitten. Most flea treatments available in pet stores don't really do the job. I'd try to get to the vet ASAP and get a prescription for Frontline or Advantage; when I adopted my cat as a 4-month-old kitten, she was riddled with fleas and that's what the vet recommended (in half doses). There are kitten-safe flea shampoos, too, but I got mine from the vet, so I think that's the only way it might be available.

If there are indead fleas or some other kind of bug, wash %26lt;i>everything%26lt;/i>: all of your bedding, any blankets that hang out on the couch, etc., and see if you can find cleansers for your couch cushions and any carpeting. The fleas will keep coming back if you don't get them out of those areas.
Here is something cheap and easy. Take a baby wipe and get it damp in warm water. Wipe gently at the kittens face. Also are you making sure she/he is eating enough? If it is not even a lb in weight you need to make sure they are eating plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment