Thursday, July 30, 2009

kittens playing rough.?

I am fostering two kittens and one plays pretty rough and bites the other, I intervene when I can by making a loud noise to make him stop, but I am not around 24/7. Should I be concerned or should the other learn more to defend itself and let it go..
Answers:
Usually, when there's more than one cat (or kitten), one will become the dominant animal. However, when kittens play, they are smart enough to run and hide when they've had enough. I wouldn't worry about one hurting the other. My kittens play very rough and loud but they seem to enjoy it and keep coming back for more. I've seen one pin the other down and clamp it jaw across the other's throat. At first, that looked dangeous to me but I soon realized they were just playing. They also get very loud sometimes..yowling and hissing but again, I've come to realize that's how they play. Don't worry about it.
more than likely your rough cat is trying to toughen up your other cat
well they are just playing and that is their way of playing and showing love to each other. i used to have these two kittens who were brothers and they would play mean every day! i was always so worried one might get really hurt but if one lets say gets hurt then it will defend it self and the other kitten will back off.. hope this helps
when you are there you can tell him a firm NO ! and move him from the other cat. But I dont think he will hurt the other one when you are not there. The other cat will let him know when it has had enough rough play by hissing or running away from him.
Once one has established dominance they'll cool down.
They will establish their own boundaries and quit the rough stuff as they mature. Right now-kitty skin is pretty tough. Your main concern would be if one gets a puncture it can develop an abscess. Look out for wounds,clean them with peroxide and watch for swelling and tenderness-if any develops,get kitty to a vet.
normal
it is dominance thing
you r alfa
then thay fight for pecking order but yes interveen wen u can
no wories they will sort it out without herting echouther to bad
I'd say that they are just playing unless it really looks like the other kitten is getting hurt.

If that is the case then you should let the adopting person know that this kitten likes to play rough.

You can also train the kitten not to play like that but it does take time.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment