Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kitten gas?

My 7 month old kitten has frequent gas and I was wondering if he will grow out of it.
Answers:
You're not feeding him curry, are you?


Jokes aside. its fairly normal. Usually just over-enthusiastic feeding.. In younger kittens its often a sign of trying to feed from dried out teats.
Try to find what is wrong, like de-worming or changing diet may help.
kitten toots aren't really part of the cat experience. look to the food you give him. do you give him milk? i would guess his gas is from his diet.ADDENDUM: ask your vet if you can give your cat beano. my moms pooting little pekinese takes it and mother is happier now.
What are you feeding the kitten? If you are giving the kitten cows milks then please stop.

Here is a good outline for cat/kitten diets:

http://www.catsinfo.com/kittens.html#fee.

# Don't feed your kitten liver, canned tuna or other canned fish intended for humans. These foods can create an imbalance of vitamins A, D, and E, which can lead to serious conditions.
# Do feed your kitten a well-balanced premium food specifically designed for kittens. These youngsters need more proteins for building strong bones and muscles, and more calories to keep up with their high energy levels, than older cats. You can supplement with a high quality dry kitten food later, but in the early days he will need the extra calories of canned food for energy and growth.
My cat only did that when he was new to our house and it stopped, so I would maybe try a new food or a trip to the vet to rule out anything being wrong.
I have two female kittens who used to fart a lot when they were very young. Not like dogs, who do it then look around as if to say "it wasn't me!" but usually with tail held high wandering past my face on the sofa and looking smug at the discomfort they caused me!!

Thankfully they are now 7 months and I have not noticed it any more!

It does however sound like you are feeding them wet food all the time. I recommend dry food for breakfast and wet food in the evenings - it keeps their bowel movements a decent consistency!
if you give him just regular milk like you drink, it will give him gas, try evaporated milk..
It may be the food you are feeding him. I would try to switch his food to a different brand. I would also make sure it is kitten food not cat food. Thats normally gas problems.
I found when my kitten had bad bad gas it was her diet so i switched her dry food and her wet food and the amount. I gave her PRO PLAN for her dry food and 1/3 can of friskies every other day, that stopped it. Milk can give ur cat gas too or people food
We have a 7 year old male cat, neutered, Purina dry food, no intestinal parasites who has been "windy" since was a kitten. He gets the breezes when he is getting loved on, when he gets excited or mad, or sometimes he is just windy. Our vet said that as long as he is acting normally, he may just be a gassy kitty.

Keep the air freshener handy.
He'll grow out of it. I have a cat a little over a year old and until he was about 6-8 months old he had some of the worst smelling gas you could imagine. Now that he's fully grown, that has gone away.
It's most likely the diet. My Poppy had a sensitive stomach too, and I had to keep switching until I found something that agreed with her. FWIW, Iams gave her the worst gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment