Wednesday, July 29, 2009

kitten grinds his teeth?

my baby Simon 7 weeks old grinds his teeth when and after he eats..he went to the vet yesterday and she said his mouth is normal..but I've never known a cat to sit and grind this teeth together.its very strange and loud.anyone else ever hear of this?

thanks
Answers:
I rescued a stray that did this. The weirdest thing but he was fine. Just like a person, every one has weird quirks. Don't fret too much:)
Here is the answer Purina gave on the same question. Hope it helps.
Grinding of the teeth can be a sign of malocclusion; in other words, improper bite. However, I鈥檝e witnessed some cats grind their teeth, and on examination, their mouths are perfectly normal. Your cat should have a thorough oral exam performed by your veterinarian. If no dental abnormalities are detected, I would try switching to a different kind of diet. If your cat receives dry food, switch to a wet food, and vice versa.
I have a 3 yr old male Persian that does that. I don't think it hurts anything. Not to worry.
I think that blondemom is right. Plus I would have a vet check for an abscess in the tooth or throat. Or possibly a tumor in early stages. Have her checked by another vet in about two weeks and see if she is better. Sounds like food stuck in the teeth for a simple explanation
alot of animal babies such as kittens and puppies will grind their teeth when they start getting loose, it won't hurt them it just sounds annoying.
I would suspect that he has a loose baby tooth at his age. I've seen older cats grind their teeth when they are in pain, and not necessarily from their mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment