Monday, May 24, 2010

My 1yo Cat is Losing Weight, Help?

My One year old cat, Evil Too, has lost some weight. He went to the vet about a month and a half ago and was checked for worms, he didn't have any. And I checked now, and I don't see anything in his poop. He is completely normal, afectionate, playful, but when I look at his hips they are skinny. He used to be the plumper one of he and his brother, but now he has his brothers skinny frame. He has a great appetite, and there is always food out and available (dry always, and some wet). So I don't know what is going on. I guess I am asking here in case it is common, and I can't afford another $600 vet bill, lol. Oh and I heard something about summer weight loss, we live in miami if it helps. Thank you in advance for your help
Answers:
Some cats metabolism is faster and stronger than others.Their diet(ingredients should have what activities are warranted) can be monitered with more protein, lamb and less cereal. I have a cat that is just a rail and his mother and nephew are built like bowling pins! LOL You could have the vet do a thyroid check on Evil. Does he still have a good appetite? Is he allowed to go outside? My cats are very active in the summer because they are outside (but still fly into the house to use the litter box, then want back outside..LOL). Simple blood test to check the thyroid.call the vet and get a price up front so you are not shocked when the bill comes!
Stick to one food. One dry and one soft. It could be causing a disturbance in his digestive tract. Then take a diary down of what he's been eating and how often(I know this will be hard to do, being cats eat at all hrs, but do your best) This will help the dr. diagnosis the problem by elimination. You are doing a good job thus far, keep up the caring eye!
Throw on a pair of flip flops, run your fingers thru your hair and tell Evil we're gonna tie on the feed bag and belly up to the buffet.so bring your appetite, puss and let's head to Olive Garden or Golden Corral for all you can eat! LOL
it could be just the heat.if the cat's are playing a lot and seriously active it can help the cat loose wieght just like with humans
I would not worry about it. Some cats are that way. A friend of mine has 6 cats. Two are PLUMP and the others are skinny but they have enough to eat.. just that way.. I had two cats.. one skinny male who ate all the time and the other a fat 23 pound girl kitty
What type of food are you feeding him. You might try wet food or some food with more protein. You can find the nutritional information on the bag.
The conditions that cause weight loss, hyperthyroidism and diabetes, usually occur in older cats.

Does a neighbor or friend have a baby scale? You could keep track of his weight that way. Also I think since you have a vet you could take him there and weigh him. I would check in a month to see if he has lost any more weight. Then I think a vet would take it seriously. It will take further diagnostics to determine the cause and that, of course, will be expensive.

This certainly isn't common on this board. Obesity is usually the problem here.
get em some multi vitamin
Funny.. i have the same exact problem . AND i live directly across from you in Marco Island! My cats 5, and hes been checked for worms and god knows everything else. Nadda. Yet he's like yours- not plump on da sides anymore!! He has wet food once a day, and there's always dry out, and he's eating. Just I notice not as much. he's still active playful- totally the norm except for the eating. I had never heard of summer weiightloss, maybe thats true ? Did your's fur get thin and greasy? Mine seems to have lost his coats fullness look.
Now with us, I have a feeling it is jealousy due to an oudoor feral we have had now for over a month. He was able to see the feral eat and what not and i think that re-set him for some reason. He has always been fine with his 3 brothers ( i have 4 total indoor ) and theres no compitition for food- ugh i just dont know either.
Lets go with heat LOL
I'd recommend switching his diet. It may not be responsible for his weight loss, but cheap foods are usually full of meat byproducts (which are not healthy) and corn (which is a filler but has no nutritional value). I have my cats on Science Diet currently, but after checking the ingredients list, I'm switching them to Solid Gold. I'm actually kinda pissed that I've been spending so much money on Science Diet when it's crap. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess.

As long as the vet says he's healthy, and he's acting completely fine, I wouldn't worry too much. It could just be a phase. You didn't say how old he is.remember that cats go through weight fluctuations as they mature (kind of like a chubby child hitting their teen years and thinning out).
Actually changing their food a lot is bad for them. The say to introduce a new food slowly over like a week by mixing it with their old food a little, then more a few days later and more a few days later and then all new food. This could be why he is loosing weight. Stick with one good quality food and he should be fine.
you really should be consistent of what you feed them because cats systems are very sensitive and each time you buy them something different you are confusing their systems try one that works for you and stick with it.preferably something with real meat like purina one the cheaper stuff is full of fillers and corn meals.the better the food the better your cat..

No comments:

Post a Comment