Monday, May 24, 2010

My 13 year old cat is pulling her fur out, and there is no rash or redness. What can I treat her with?


Answers:
Especially if there is no redness, or rash, you need to take her to see her vet. There can be numerous causes of itchiness that can present this way. It could also be a sign of stress/anxiety. Animals do not always show stress in the same way. Get a good exam by your vet, and make sure that it is not a physical thing, and if it isn't, start working on the possible causes of stress.

I warn you, this may be frustrating! But there is a reason, because cats don't routinely overgroom without a cause.

Good luck!
I think the cat needs to be brushed and cleaned perhaps a bath. You could speak to a vet but if you trimmed the cats hair. Brushed it and gave it a bath It should stop. Might also want to look for fleas or something like that.
fleas
Usually when an animal starts to pull their fur out, it is because they are lonely. If there is no rash or redness, then it must not be medical. Try and give it plenty of attention and this habit should stop. Also, if need be, you can put a cone on her (kinda like the one's dog's get after an operation) so as to stop her from harming herself.
Get its teeth pulled, that should stop it for a while.
She needs to go to the vet and get a blood test to see what her thyroid levels are. I had a great, wonderful cat who needed some medical attention because of his thyroid. Ask the vet.
I just love it when people refer you to a vet here, like you are not obviously looking for Non-vet answers first. The one that was talking about her being lonely may have something, and she could have fleas. A friend of mine had a dog with this problem, and told me about a wonderful answer. She used a flea shampoo like Seargents and mixed it evenly with Baby Magic Shampoo. I found the Baby Magic in the health and beauty shampoo section at wal-mart. This worked so well for her that I used it on my cats and dogs - the effect is amazing - it makes their fur Sooo soft, and any fleas jumped off of them. Its not fool proof, nothing is, but it worked for her and is wonderful on my animals. I tell you, its like holding velvet to hold one of my kitties.
Hope I helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment