Friday, May 21, 2010

Mum cat and 3 newborn kittens, help!?

Ok here it is. My neighbour just turned up at my door with her ex hubbies cat and 3 tiny kittens saying that he is wanting to leave them outside. She can't take them in as she has a cat so I said I would.
Now I have experience of cats and weaned kittens but not of a nursing mum. She is in a warm basket with the babies and has food, water and a litter tray close by. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks.
Answers:
I had to "babysit" a neighbor's pregnant cat once, and, of course, she had the kittens at my place. We did just what you're doing. I did a little research, and it suggests giving mama cat a vitamin/mineral supplement. I did find a couple of good websites with information on FAQ's about nursing mother cats and kittens. Please check out the sources I left for additional information.

One site says not to handle the kittens too much, or the mother may move them to a more remote or inaccessible spot. I think you are better off ignoring kittens until their eyes are open, but giving mama attention if she wants and needs it.

Good luck!
nope, just let nature take it's course.good luck
No just don't pick up her new kittens, just let her find her own space if you don't want her taking the kittens around the house close off the doors, because she will move her kittens you will get up in the morning and not be able to find them, she will want to protect them. Good Luck
aaaaw kittens.
nope, that's all she really needs, she will do the rest, all you have to do is check in on them every once in a while.good luck
no- just keep an eye to make sure the are all being fed or eating. sometimes they can have problems feeding.
i don't think so. but your mom cat should know what to do out of instinct. but she might not accept them and just leave them to die. a vet should have a nursing bottle and a formula just in case.
i think you have all bases covered good luck
no
sounds like you are doing everything right. you did a good thing by taking them in and not leaving them outside.
Just love them lots - enjoy the kitties as they go through their stages, they are soooo funny and cute!
Sounds like you are doing a great job, bless your kind heart. Just make sure that all 3 kittens are nursing on mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment