Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mean Kitty?

A huge tomcat has been coming to our house for several weeks (all my cats are fixed). My cats don't seem to mind him and he is very friendly. I have petted him and he tries to come in the house which I won't let him do. Anyway, this morning he was out there when my cats went outside and they started hissing at him. He jumped on one of my nuetered males and then chased him up a tree. I ran him off and got my cat to come down and the big tom ran up and jumped on him again. I got him in but I don't know what suddenly happened. He's been hanging out with my cats for a while and never had any trouble. Should I run him off for good?
Answers:
You have a "double dippin' " cat on your hands.he's getting too comfortable ! you can try and chase him off but chances are that will not work. you need a live trap and to take it to a shelter,it will just keep comming back if you don't.
Your cats are a threat to him. Have the local shelter come out and put traps out - unless you know his owner. Then contact the authorities and report them. You cats should not be threatened in their own yard!
thats his territory. your cats have the inside hes got the out side. that or its pecking order.
sounds like a domination thing. The tom thinks its his yard, and is trying to prove it. there is probably a cat in heat somewhere in the vicinity. that is what probably triggered the mean streak.
once the cat in heat is done or gone, things should return to normal.
He's bad influence to your cats, don't let them hang out with him because he might get them in trouble with the law.
The Tomcat is probably hungrey. Please feed him. He is also
llooking for a good home, and he cannot get inside your home. He is marking his territory and needs help. Are you able to give it a try? He needs acceptance not abuse.
Our neighbors cat was the bully of the neighborhood, and kept terrorizing my 2 cats. I would have to send my dog outside to chase him off. After many cat fights, my cats now, keep him away. They chase him off, if he comes in our yard. Usually he keeps to himself, now that he knows my cats will fight back, and we no longer have a problem with him.
If this cat is unneutered you are really putting your cats at risk. It is the unneutered males who contract the FIV and leukemia viruses and pass them to other cats.

He really needs to be trapped and handled by experienced animal control or humane society personnel. Even though he may lose his life through euthanasia it is better that he not live if he has the potential of spreading these dangerous diseases to other cats.
I'm having the same problem with a younger cat in my neighborhood. I suspect someone dumped him and now he is trying to establish dominance over my three (neutered and vaccinated) kitties. He's a mean sumbitch and I'm a cat lover, but his days are numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment