Sunday, August 2, 2009

Many of us have walked dogs-have any of you actually walked a cat?

Maybe not in the middle of downtown,but.
Answers:
Hi there..both my housecats are leash trained and love our outdoor excursions on foot and in cars. Unlike dogs that walk with you, cats rather walk you. ;-) It's mostly because they are interested in their surroundings and like to stop and "smell the roses" as this make the time on leash more rewarding to them. However, our exotic cats (e.g. cougars, african servals, etc) we've leash trained are more dog-like and will follow us for the walk excursions.
I tried to walk a chicken and it did not work at all. She's fine.
No--cats want freedom!
I tried to but she wouldn't go. she just sat there and looked at me lol. She's so cute :)
NOO lol when i put a leash on one of my kittys she freaked out she didnt like it at allll.
my blind kitty stays on a leash most of the time when he's outside. so, I guess I can say. sort-of.
it doesn't work

I let mine outside very seldomly and he just sniffs around and I stay with him. Then I have to grab him and bring him back inside.
I tried but it didn't work, it depends on the cat, my neighbor has walked his cat in the common yard for years.
I havent ever walked a cat before but u can get leads for cats! There is nothing odd about walking cats. Believe me, i saw someone the other day walking a ferret on a lead! Its true!
When I was kid we always had cats and I always wanted a dog. I tried to bring my cat for a walk and he did not want to have anything to do with the leash so we didn't get very far.

I did last week see a woman walking her cat downtown.
Yes My beautiful orange tabby Tammy wore a harness and would gladly walk with me on a leash. She loved to walk all around the sub-division and had to investigate every bush and flower. She also loved to ride in the car. I have owned many cats since,but have never been able to convince another cat that a walk would be fun. Usually putting a collar and leash means taking the cat for a drag. Now adays a leash and collar are only for going to the vet's. Tammy has been gone since '90 and I still miss her..
I tried walking my cat. It was so funny; I had to fight to get the leash on. Then, once we hit the sidewalk, the cat sat down and wouldn't move another inch.
I started to put the leash on my cat when she was just a kitten. Now she is used to it and doesn't try to get it off. We don't really take walks like you would a dog, but she will walk a short distance with the leash on. She walks a few feet first, then waits for me to catch up, then she will walk a few more feet. Usually though, she is distracted by something that she wants to chase or investigate, so we don't get very far! I don't take her very far from the house though.
no but i have taken my bunny rabbit on walks
wanted to..but my cat won't go outside.never seen it.
I have taken three of my cats out with a halter and a leash when they were around six months old. At that time I let my cats go outside during the day and I wanted them to be familiar with the territory around their home.

Cats recognise their territory by smell. They know the smell of every dog, raccoon, etc. they encounter on their "walks" so they will know where home is by familiarizing themselves with the local smells.
yes I have :) it takes a while for him to understand the basic skills of being walked with leash on. I started small distance like around the block and now he can do about 10 blocks, I live in a quiet area and tend to walk my cat about 6 am every other day. I don't even use cat carriers because he's afraid of being in a small space and I used the leash to take him to the vet. Lots of patience

No comments:

Post a Comment