Sunday, August 2, 2009

Male Fixed Cat all of a sudden spraying!! HELP!?

Okay, so I have a three year old Male cat (fixed) who is now deciding to start spraying. I have only owned him for about 6 months or so. He has never sprayed. We did move into a new house. I know what you are thinking "Duh! its the new house!!" . I wish that was it! (maybe it still is) But he hasn't started doing it until maybe amonth and a half after moving in.
AND he isn't doing it just anywhere. He sprays right in front of my door and right infront of the closet (two doors in my room). No where else in the house. How can I get him to stop? I've tried some carpet spray to remove the smell, but he keeps just spraying there. So it never goes away.

I've seen him do it!! he's spraying! he even knows its not good. Cause when I catch him he'll run away.But he keeps doing it

he's an awesome cat, and he is very loyal.. but why all of a sudden so protective of our room?
the smell is driving me crazy! especially when I am trying to sleep.. It's all I can smell! HELP!
Answers:
Get him checked for a UTI, although I'm doubting that's it since he's doing it in very specific places. There is a possibility that a cat lived there before who sprayed, and he is covering the scent that was left. He may not have done it right after moving in because he didn't feel like this was his territory yet. Are there other pets in the house? Or do you possibly have a pet door that an outside kitty is sneaking in to eat? Cats will start spraying when another comes around their territory.

You need to get a blacklight at check your house. Make sure that the urine is only around your room. It may be more widespread than you think. Pay attention to any other markings you find, because they will give you clues as to what's going on. If you find them around windows or doors on certain sides of your house, it may be a clue that an animal outside is threatening him. Assuming it's not a medical issue, something has spooked your kitty into feeling his territoy is under attack.

Once you are able to figure out what's spooking him, you can work on removing the problem. If it's leftover scent, you'll need to scrub everything down until the marking are gone. Make sure he has scratching posts so he will have an alternative way to mark his territory. If you have a kitty door, shut it. He may have to stay inside, but at least he'll feel safer. If it's a neighbor's cat coming around, ask them to keep it inside for a while. If it's a stray, then it needs to go to an adoption agency. If it's something else (like raccoons) you may need to call animal control.

Hope this helps and you guys get the problem figured out. It's not only stressful for you, but stressful for your kitty as well. Good luck!
He's trying to tell you something, and it might be that he has a urinary tract infection. I would certainly have him tested for that.

All that aside, it could be he's establishing his territory, and that seems to be YOU (and your room). Providing he is healthy (you've checked him for UTI %26 renal problems), I would scold him when you catch him doing it or use a spray bottle filled with water %26 give him a squirt!

My preference for the odor control is Odoban. Some prefer Nature's miracle.
I know exactly how you feel. I have a neutered male that does the same thing. If you can get yours to stop let me know how you did it. We have tried everything but medication.(I have heard anti-anxiety drugs like Buspar can help) I think my cat does it in response to an outdoor cat that hangs around outside just to aggravate him. I will be watching for all the great answers you will get and maybe I will find the right one for me. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment