Sunday, August 2, 2009

Many Cat Questions,Please Help?

I have alot of questions about my cat, and instead of making numerous question posts i thought i should put it in one.

1.My cat is making weird sneezing sounds,is it a hairball ?
2.My cat has matted fur,is it painful for him and can I cut it off his fur without hurting him?
3.My cat used to be a indoor cat,I moved to a flat and now he stays inside, should I let him go back out again or just make him stay inside?
4.Is there any way to tell if my cat is healthy.I heard if the veins in his ears are bright pink and if his nose is wet hes healthy,is this true?
I know these are many questions,but I need to get it all in one..Thanks If You Help.
Answers:
1.My cat is making weird sneezing sounds,is it a hairball ?
IT COULD BE A COLD - OR UPPER RESPITORY INFECTION.TAKE IT TO YOUR VET TO MAKE SURE IT DOESNT NEED ANTIBOITICS. YOU CAN ALSO GIVE THEM A CALL TO SEE IF THEY CAN HE LP YOU OVER THE PHONE

2.My cat has matted fur,is it painful for him and can I cut it off his fur without hurting him? YEAH - GIVE HIM/HER A SHAVE IF YOU WANT..IT WILL MAKE THEM FEEL A LOT BETTER GETTING ALL OF THE MATS OFF.

3.My cat used to be a indoor cat,I moved to a flat and now he stays inside, should I let him go back out again or just make him stay inside? I WOULD HAVE HIM STAY INSIDE - HE WILL GET USED TO IT AND IT IS A LOT SAFER FOR HIM IN THE LONG RUN.

4.Is there any way to tell if my cat is healthy.I heard if the veins in his ears are bright pink and if his nose is wet hes healthy,is this true? WELL IT IS A GOOD SIGN, THE WET NOSE THING - I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE VEINS IN HIS EAR AND I HAVE A LOT OF ANIMALS. EATING IS ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN OF GOOD HEALTH - THEY TEND TO STOP IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG. ALSO, KEEP AN EYE ON HIS LITTER BOX TOO - MAKE SURE THERE ISNT ANYTHING ABNORMAL - LESS/MORE PEE..COLOR OF THE STOOLS ETC. ETC. THAT IS ALWAYS A SIGN OF THEIR HEALTH STATUS CHANGING.
BUT FIND A VET - OR SHELTER WHERE YOU CAN CALL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ADVICE TO AS YOU NEED IT - IT WILL HELP YOU AND THE ANIMAL ADJUST TO THE CHANGES THAT HAVE OBVIOUSLY HAPPENED IN THE MOVE.
GOOD LUCK!
Ques 2: I have a cat that gets matted fur. I wait until she is really relaxed and take a comb to loosen it up. Then I slide the comb between the skin and the mat and start cutting (stops you from cutting the skin) and comb mat and repeat. If really bad, vets can give you cat a mild anestic and shave the really bad areas.
Ques 3: Dont let him outside. Give him a nice big window that he lay infront of. Also, really watch he may try to make a dash for it.
Ques 4: Never heard that before. But I did have a cat get really sick and her ears looked the same.

Sorry no help on Q1 but if worried call the vet and ask if they recommend you come in.
1, It could be a hairball, it can also be an upper respiratory infection, especially if it is chronic.
2. Badly matted fur IS painful. You can cut it off, but most cats wont let you. You should try getting any terrible areas shaved by a professional grooner and then brush him after that to keep the matts at bay.
MANY foods also help with cats that matt easily.
3. For their own safety, cats should stay inside.
4.All cats have veins in their ears, regardless of health, except those that have weak hearbeats I would imagine. Wet nose is ok, but leaking nose is not, and can be an indicator of more significant things.
1. If your cat is making weird sneezing sounds, I would recommend a trip to the vet to have that diagnosed and treated.

2. If your cat is matted, I would not recommend trying to cut the matts out by yourself, you can really injure your pet, besides that it is painful to your cat if he is matted. Cats skin is like paper if you cut it-it will just tear. I would recommend that you ask your vet when you are there if he/she can possibly remove the matts professionally so that he does not get injured.

3. I am not an advocate of outdoor cats, I prefer mine indoors.

4. The only way to tell if your cat is healthy is to take him to a vet. I do not believe that his nose being wet and his ears being pink are any indication of health.

I hope this helped. Good Luck.
Just as further backup on the matting. I wouldn't do it yourself. Cats' skin is very fragile and it is so easy to really cut it without meaning to. Even if you use the medical bandage scissors you can cut the skin accidentally.

Since you have a number of issues here I would take the cat to the vet for an exam. The vet techs there are competent to use the shavers to remove the mats. Then you can work on the brushing and combing at home to keep them under control.

I would keep him inside for sure. He doesn't know the new territory and neither do you. At least keep him in for almost a month, then you will know about aggressive dogs in the neighborhood, how neighbors feel about free-roaming cats, etc. He may be very happy to stay inside and of course that is the best option for his health and protection.
1)a gagging motion is more for hairballs,if she is sneezing it may be the cat litter,some brands are dustier then others,and she is getting dust up her nose when she covers it up.

2)you can try to brush it out if that does not work,you can cut it out gently,making sure you are only cutting fur and not her skin.

3)cat are generally Heathier when they are indoor cats,because they are not able to fight,eat bad things,be exposed to the elements,and be around other animals which may not be healthy.

4)a wet nose and pink ears don't necessarily mean healthy,if your cat has a good appetite,drinks plenty of water,is playful then your pet is healthy
question 1- well, as far as sneezzing your cat could have a caold. My cat was sneezing and it had a cold so the vet. gave her medicine. Or it might be a hairball if he is heaving. They usually put their head down and heaves for a bit. It's a hairballl that is traveling on its way out.

question 4- You know that your cat is healthy if it acts like itself. Whether he is playful or quiet, and acts the same, then he is healthy. As long as it eats like itself, has no diarrea ten it s healthy. I'm not sure about the nose, but you coul probably look that up online.

No comments:

Post a Comment